Sunday, April 6, 2008

135 year old birthday party

Yes, 135 years! That is, 70 for our friend Irma and 65 for her husband Jørgen. Here is a picture of them.




It is very common for people in Denmark, when they have a "round" birthday (as Danes say), to have a big party. I would say there was about 50 people there. We were served a three course dinner. There were songs written with special texts to them.


I would say that these parties are a bit more formal than the average American party. You get pretty dressed up, and there will be a whole program in place for the evening. And it will generally be a long evening. We were there from 4 o´clock and were home by 10:30. We thought that was quite short. We had counted on a late night. Anyway, I think in general, that Americans are a bit more off the cuff. But it was a nice evening. I think Irma and Jørgen were very happy about it.


Andreas has known them many years. He has taught piano to some of their grandchildren. And Jørgen likes to think that it is because of him, that Andreas and I found each other. Apparently Jørgen told Andreas that he should look for a musican. So, he feels proud of that.


They are both music lovers and had asked us to prepare some classical pieces to perform for everyone. I sang "O mio babbino caro" by Puccini, and Andreas played Chopin.


Here's som pictures.




5 comments:

Batman Forever said...

135! That is really old. So Andrew and I are 66. Cool. Sounds like you had a good time.

Leigh said...

loving' the red shirt, amos! Sadly, I'm just 26, I can't combine with anyone :)

Batman Forever said...

I gave you that red shirt for Christmas, didn't I? So cute.

Andreas V said...

yeah, I really like that one. If you see more in other colors at Van Heusen, pick me up one, okay?

mom said...

Hard to believe that you were home sooner than expected, those Danes really party a long time! You're looking great in the red, however.