Saturday, April 5, 2008

Roger Whittaker


How many of you know this face? Do you remember those old Time Life commercials advertising his music? I don't remember him being at all popular in the States. I'm coming to realize however, that Roger Whittaker (pronounced Vitaker) is actually very popular in Europe (at least in Denmark and Germany). Andreas' mom has been to many of his concerts and admits to having a bit of a crush on him. She says he is just so handsome. And right this very minute we're watching a really cheasy German variety show in which he is guest. It's so hilarious to see how popular he is! It's not just old people singing along, but young people too! He just got a standing ovation! And it's all in German! He speaks German too. I wonder if he's just moved over to Germany, he is so popular there. David Hasselhof is apparently not the only American to find fame amongst Germans! You go for it Roger!
UPDATE: Just to underline how popular he is here in Denmark, I wanted to mention that Ingegerd (Andreas´mom) has just told us that her sister from Stockholm is coming down to Denmark, so the two of them can go to a Roger Whittaker concert together! They are still devoted fans!

4 comments:

Batman Forever said...

I have no idea who he is. We are missing out.

mom said...

I am trying to remember his songs, was one of them "England Swings Like a Pendulum Do"? I know there are many and I liked his voice, but can't thing of the songs right off.

Annika (swekinna) said...

Hi Amy,

I am Andreas cousin from Stockholm. My name is Annika. I can assure you my mom totally loves this Roger Whitaker. She had me make a special edition of his songs on a tape which she tortured us with until she lost the tape. She is not getting another one OH NO.

Choose The Wright said...

Hilarious. I remember commercials pushing his records. He seemed like an old fart 30 years ago. He must be super decrepit now.